Domestic Violence services
Select each service below to learn more.
Court Advocates provide assistance in navigating the civil and/or criminal court system including serving as a liaison with law enforcement, State’s Attorney’s Office, clerks and judges.
Court Advocates are available to help anyone experiencing domestic violence to obtain an Order of Protection including filling out required paperwork, filing a petition, preparing you for court appearance and offering support throughout the court process. An Order of Protection is a legal document, granted by a judge to help a victim of domestic violence. It is drafted to meet the unique needs and wishes of the individual, and is enforced by the Court and law enforcement.
Court Advocates also assist you by:
- Providing information on the Illinois Domestic Violence Act
- Helping you understand victim’s legal rights and options
- Assisting with paperwork for the Illinois Crime Victim Compensation Program
- Creating an extensive safety plan
- Signing up for the Automated Victim Notification System (if needed)
- Accompanying you to any civil or criminal proceeding to offer support and encouragement